Tepco Shares Decline After Report Company May Be Nationalized

Tokyo Electric Power Co. shares fell to the lowest in more than two months after the Yomiuri newspaper said the utility may be nationalized to avert collapse as it faces billions of dollars in costs to decommission the wrecked Fukushima nuclear station.

The government may acquire more than two-thirds of the company’s shares through its Nuclear Damage Liability Facilitation Fund, the Yomiuri said. The fund may invest 1 trillion yen ($12.8 billion) to acquire stock while banks may be asked to lend the same amount, the newspaper reported, citing an unidentified person familiar with the plan.

The utility known as Tepco said in a statement “there is no truth” to the report. “We will first work on cutting costs and securing funds,” it said.

Tepco fell 9.8 percent on the Tokyo Stock Exchange to close at 211 yen, the lowest since Oct. 6. Tepco is down 90 percent since the day before the March 11 quake and tsunami crippled its Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear station, causing 160,000 people to flee radiation fallout.

“We are considering all options,” Trade and Industry Minister Yukio Edano said today in Tokyo in response to a question on the Yomiuri report at a press conference.

The funds from the government and banks will help Tepco avoid insolvency and pay for dismantling and decommissioning the damaged reactors, as well as cover the cost of purchasing fuel to run its thermal plants, the Yomiuri said.

The government-backed fund may acquire securities including preferred stock and replace the company’s management, the Yomiuri reported. The fund will gain control after shareholders approve the plan at a meeting in June, it said.

The fund expects electricity prices to be raised as much as 10 percent next October and the company to restart reactors at one of its nuclear plants after April 2013, the Yomiuri said.

The government-backed fund aims to complete negotiations with banks by the end of March, the Yomiuri said.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE

Nintendo Slumps By Most Since 1990 on Dashed Pokemon Go Hopes

Investors Go as Nintendo Captures Few Pokemon Profits
  • Shares sink 18 percent, the daily limit allowed by exchange
  • Nintendo’s U.S.-listed shares dropped 11 percent on Friday

Nintendo Co. shares plunged by the most since 1990 after the company said late Friday that the financial benefits from the worldwide hit Pokemon Go will be limited.

The stock sank 18 percent to 23,220 yen at the close in Tokyo, the maximum one-day move allowed by the exchange, wiping out 708 billion yen ($6.7 billion) in market value. After debuting in the U.S. earlier this month, Pokemon Go launched in Japan on Friday and became available in Hong Kong on Monday.

The correction comes after Pokemon Go’s release almost doubled Nintendo’s stock through Friday’s close, adding $17.6 billion in market capitalization. Nintendo is a shareholder in the game’s developer Niantic Inc. and Pokemon Co., but has an "effective economic stake" of just 13 percent in the app, according to an estimate by Macquarie Securities analyst David Gibson.

“It’s still possible to say that in the short-term it’s overheated,” said Tomoaki Kawasaki, an analyst at Iwai Cosmo Securities Co.

A Syrian gamer uses the Pokemon Go application on his mobile to catch a Pokemon amidst the rubble in the besieged rebel-controlled town of Douma, Syria.
A Syrian gamer uses the Pokemon Go application on his mobile to catch a Pokemon amidst the rubble in the besieged rebel-controlled town of Douma, Syria.
Photographer: Sameer Al-Doumy/AFP via Getty Images

In a press release after the market closed on Friday in Japan, the Kyoto-based company said the game’s financial impact will be "limited" and that it is not necessary to revise its annual forecast even after factoring in current conditions. It also said revenue from Pokemon Go Plus, a Nintendo-produced accessory for the game expected to go on sale soon, has already been factored into the current guidance.

“The content of the announcement itself is not that shocking, but it is a surprise they said it on Friday instead of when they report earnings” later this week, said Nobuyuki Fujimoto, a senior market analyst at SBI Securities Co. “The game has been published in Japan, so for the time being we’ve exhausted all the catalysts.”

The company will report first-quarter earnings on Wednesday after the market close, a period which ended before the release of Pokemon Go. The firm is forecasting an annual net profit of 35 billion yen in the current fiscal year, up from the 16.5 billion yen it earned last year.

Short interest in Nintendo surged earlier this month as bears bet the stock rally had gone too far. As of July 20, short-sellers had built up a bet worth $940 million -- or 2.6 percent of outstanding shares -- that the stock would fall, according to researcher IHS Markit. At current prices, such a bet would have generated about $140 million in profits.

Shares of related companies also fell. McDonald’s Holdings Co. (Japan), the game’s exclusive launch partner, declined 12 percent. Electronic parts maker Hosiden Corp., which Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. said may produce Pokemon Go Plus, sank 16 percent.

Besides the earnings announcement on Wednesday, Morgan Stanley said the next focus point is if Pokemon Go launches in China, where access to geographical data necessary for the game is restricted by the government. Investors are also waiting for announcements on Nintendo’s other upcoming mobile games and its next-generation console expected to be released next year, analysts Mia Nagasaka and Yuki Maeda wrote in a July 22 report.

Before it's here, it's on the Bloomberg Terminal. LEARN MORE
NoneNoneNone NoneNone NoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNone